To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 2:16 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Traffic Cams

Houston just got some red light cams working.  The company that installs
and runs them gets 60% or 70% of the revenues if I recall right.  It is
more about revenue generation for the city (with little effort) than law
enforcement, though one has to agree that running red lights is a
problem that needs to be dealt with.  One thing I noticed when I moved
here from the Boston area is that yellow lights are shorter (can't say
how much, you just know it, maybe a second or two) than they were there,
where it was expected that people run the yellows.  And the easy
solution would be to set the green lights to delay a coupla seconds when
the cross light goes red, to provide a bit of buffer.  But that is too
simple.

And the cops here really don't do much about traffic enforcement, and
drive about as poorly as a lot of the drivers on the road --speeding, no
signals, weaving in/out of traffic.  Bad cops!  No donuts!

--R