September 30, 2006

Needed a car to take cross-State to pick up 1/2 beef at the family
butcher's.  Hello, fuel economy!  The car behaved fairly well,
though it _is_ small and the lack of interior space is definitely
noticeable on a long trip like this.  The tires are also obviously in
need of some attention, there was a pronounced shudder at speeds much
over about 65, feels like out-of-balance tires, maybe exacerbated by
weak shocks (struts).  And, the AC didn't work.  I could feel the
compressor kick in but then it cut out immediately and wouldn't come
back, probably the Klima doing its thing.  Will have to dig into that.
So, not a perfect trip, but adequate.  The brakes were fine.  Fuel
mileage was about 36 going over, there was a pretty noticeable
headwind.  The car's still a bit twitchier than I would like, but it's
probably as good as it's going to get unless and until I do some
wholesale front suspension work.

I don't know why, but the radio antenna is again not working.  Kind of
a bummer on a road trip, no antenna means no reception outside of the
city.  Oh well, it's not like I really need tunes in order to drive
(unlike some people).

October 1, 2006

Return trip pretty much the same as yesterday's.  Fuel mileage was
about 42 coming back.  Starting to look like 42 is its best number.

October 5, 2006

Pretty cold morning, the rear window was all fogged up.  Too bad the
rear defroster isn't working!

October 7, 2006

Pulled out the antenna again.  Seems to be getting signals from the
radio and switch, something must be wrong inside again.  I opened it,
and after much fooling around came to the conclusion that the
protective series diode, same manufacturer and appearance as the dead
Zener from before, was also flakey.  Flexing the board in the area
would let it work sometimes.  It was _not_ the solder joint, it had
an internal crack or something, it could have been stress-induced
from when the Zener shorted and blew the trace on the board.  I
paralleled a junkbox diode with the flakey diode, but on the back side
of the board, and the antenna started working properly again.
(Removing the old diode would have been difficult due to the heat
sinks on the board and the general tightness of the layout.)  So I
reinstalled the antenna, but left the trunk liner out just in case it
flakes out again soon.  It needs a new grommet anyway.

October 8, 2006

Checked the fuse box.  F6, the rear defroster fuse, was dimpled on one
end and not making good contact.  Common, one usually replaces the
fuse in this case.  I burnished the ends and turned it around since
the fuse was otherwise in good shape, then the dash switch light
started working.  That fuse box lid is the _worst_ piece of crap
design I've ever seen!  It took me 15 minutes to get it back into
place.  Even removing it is difficult.  The secret to removing it is,
again, to first remove the relay box cover immediately in front of it.
The glued-on relay box cover hinge ear had started to come loose, so I
dribbled cyanoacrylate glue into it and hit it with accelerant.  That
firmed it right up.

-- Jim