Per Kaleb:

When buying and selling cars, or anything for that matter, whoever names
their price first, looses.

Can't say I agree with that. Interesting philosophy. I'm sure it's true to a degree...

I'm going to vote for "whatever both partie agree on"

YOU personally may think it's insane to pay 5 figures for any W123, but truth is the market IS supporting those prices. It's like those late 60's muscle cars auctioning for 6 figures. Trends like this backfire, too. The late 80's were a time when vintage european went a bit ballistic, but went down 40-50% in the mid ninety's. You're $500,000 Gullwing became worth only $300,000. Then there's the guy who paid $15 mil for a Ferrari with a racing pedigree and sold it later for just 4 million.

Now there comes a point where I HAVE to show some mercy, such as a pristine car I know of with a bad motor. It's WORTH $1000 to the right person, including me if I had the bucks, but I got a personal price of $500. Later, it turns out the guy had pay the dealer $650 to tell him the motor was shot, probably by the ignorant doofus mechanic (who probably shot ether into it rather than fix the problem) before them and some other related charges. Since the car had this hiccup, and someone ruined it, he had to haul it somewhere else, get the shaft price to GET NOTHING- and inccur all kinds of stupid expenses as a result over what started as a minor issue, at this poiont, my conscience says "Go ahead and give the poor man $650 for it to negate the dealer bill, and allowing public access the car."

But I found a $8,0000 car for $5200 - so I paid in full. This guy even understood he could get another couple grand, but didn't want spend the time and hassle, and wanted to make it quick and easy as possible, so I obliged!

I admit once I got a $100 offer for a mint set of euro bumpers, ends and euro tow hitch assembly. I DID scoff and "feel insulted" for about two minutes. I don't know why, it's another stupid human emotion.

Back to a point, most of the time there is a named price in any ad, so the seller who listed automatically loses unless they omit the price? I tend to see an omitted price as "overpriced" or something, whatever it is, I tend to ignore such ads. Price is too important. This tends to be the sort who'll yell at you when you don't offer what he imagines but won't express!

I ask for the best price they'll give.

If they answer, I may counter if needed.

If they say "offer" I get ballsy, 'cos that's fair game. If you "need" X- you need to say so- or don't get mad.

Every time is slightly different, yesterday we were going for $12-1300 for a $1500 listing. When they answered "offer" to my "lowest" question, $1000 was offered and got it. That's what he paid and was happy to be even. His 50% markup obvously worked for him. Could I have worked him over more? I didn't think so, as a running 300SD with a solid body wasn't going to last long at that price, and I like quit and simple success anyway.

Otherwise, it's like real-estate. Profit comes from the other's guys disadvantage, whatever that may be.

Besides, you think THAT'S crazy?  I'm sure you guys have seen this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Mercedes-Benz-240D-Sedan-Immaculate-Cond-1-Owner_W0QQitemZ250037957287QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Vince