Uh no, price in the ad means nothing. If the seller has a car in there and the price is listed at say, 5000, and you call him up and he says he would take 3000, but you would have gone 4000, he lost. If it were reversed and you told the guy you would give him 4k and he would have taken 3, then you lost. See the picture?

V Layton wrote:

Back to a point, most of the time there is a named price in any ad, so the seller who listed automatically loses unless they omit the price? I tend to see an omitted price as "overpriced" or something, whatever it is, I tend to ignore such ads. Price is too important. This tends to be the sort who'll yell at you when you don't offer what he imagines but won't express!

I ask for the best price they'll give.

If they answer, I may counter if needed.

If they say "offer" I get ballsy, 'cos that's fair game. If you "need" X- you need to say so- or don't get mad.

Every time is slightly different, yesterday we were going for $12-1300 for a $1500 listing. When they answered "offer" to my "lowest" question, $1000 was offered and got it. That's what he paid and was happy to be even. His 50% markup obvously worked for him. Could I have worked him over more? I didn't think so, as a running 300SD with a solid body wasn't going to last long at that price, and I like quit and simple success anyway.

Otherwise, it's like real-estate. Profit comes from the other's guys disadvantage, whatever that may be.

Besides, you think THAT'S crazy?  I'm sure you guys have seen this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Mercedes-Benz-240D-Sedan-Immaculate-Cond-1-Owner_W0QQitemZ250037957287QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6329QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Vince