You could do an LED and a light sensor with a white mark on the crank, of course that would be affected by whatever goop gets splashed up there, but something to wipe it off as it goes around...

--R

R A Bennell wrote:
What triggers the crank sensor on most new cars? Is there a magnet inbedded in
the crank dampener/balancer/pulley
(whatever you wish to call it)?
IE - If I were to try this route to put a tach in my 76 300D, I assume I would
have to attach something to the
balancer to trigger the sensor as there would not be anything from the factory.

Randy