To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2006 9:25 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Disc Brakes- Change Pads and Rotors?

Friends, why does MB sell the pads and rotors together- is it a good
thing to do these together?  I was going to have the dealer do brake
pads and he only does them together.  Is this a money robbing exercise
or is there some merit to changing both at the same time?

John Peterson
1991 300D 2.5 84k
Kingston, RI

Royce Engler wrote:
Gentlemen...

I decided to replace the front disks on the shaggin wagin, ordered the new ones from Rusty, and just for fun, since I hadn't done it in a while, read
the manual.  Do you really have to replace the "self locking hex socket
bolts" that say "one time use only"?  When I did the job on my old 240D
(RIP), I don't think I put in new bolts. In any case, they are not listed
on Rusty's web site, which tells me it's not a high volume item.

OBTW...Since switching to Mobil1, I'm up to 26MPG on my last fillup.
Admittedly, the fact that the A/C is temporarily dead may have added 1 or 2, but I'm impressed. My daily commute is now 30 miles each way, all freeway,
with less than 1/2 mile from the house/office to the on/off ramp.

Royce Engler
1985 300TD Turbo 285K