Completed that job today (the rain has stopped for the moment). When I
started her up, all three emergency brake, alt and brake pad lights as
well as the fuel reserve light stayed on even after the engine started.
They would go out if I revved the engine, only to return at idle. Drove
the car down the street and back and the lights finally went out. Took
it for a longer drive and I heard the fan belt squealing. A few minutes
later the belt stopped making noise, but the alt light was glowing
faintly no matter what the engine speed.

Could you have a heavy load stuck on, such as the glow plugs?  It's
amazing what the clamp-on DC ammeter can help you sort out in a big hurry.
Sometimes 'new' alternators are NFG.

-- Jim