LarryT wrote:
Hi JimC,
Hope you're out there ;-) I've pulled the intake and removed the GPs - tested them by attaching each in turn to a Batt chgr and all glowed red hot at the tip within ~12 sec. from the chart in the book that's pretty good - of course, they're all only about 4 weeks old.

I  wrote:<< preglow light goes out within 1 sec. of turning the key)
You replied --> That sounds like a problem internal to the GP relay. >>

Ok, the relay was replaced 4 weeks ago also after it failed to light up the GPs one night when my wife wanted to come home. A new replay gets the GPs to light but the light goes out within 1 sec (about 1/5 sec) and it feels like only 4 GPs are preglowing.

So, does this sound like enough testing to convince MB to replace the relay? I hate to buy another one (from Rusty this time) but if I have to so I'm sure it'll start and run properly I will.

I tested the wiring between the relay and each GP - all have .4 ohms resistamce - don't know what else to test.

What do you think?  Should I just button things up?

Glow plug relays that sit on the self (or in a car) for months or years without power being applied to them often have timing problems. The capacitors that determine the timing seem to deteriorate and that leads to very short intervals. You MIGHT get perfectly good starting by allowing the plugs to glow for 5-10 seconds AFTER the light goes off before starting, but that's not an ideal solution - that assums that power to the plugs continues for the proper period after the lamp goes off and the post start glow function timing is proper.

There was a TSB about cycling a preglow relay that exhibited foreshortened intervals about 10-12 times in a row (turn on the glow plugs and allow them to remain on until the relay cut off - and repeat 10-12 times - will likley run the battery down, but MAY revive the relay and timing MAY return to normal). This TSB (early/mid '80s as I recall) referred to new and used preglow relays that exhibited short timing intervals after being stored and not used for montns or years.

Marshall

--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)