The HID headlamps bother me even in the daytime, and especially off-axis. I see them as very purple, and they are demon bright -- enough that I have to look away even in daylight. I'm bothered by cars in the daylight on the other side of a divided highway, for instance.

I suspect the real solution is to filter off the near-uv emission (the high blue end) that extends beyond the "typical" human vision range. Some of us see that, and the output on those lamps is very very bright in the blue and near-uv range.

Beam pattern is secondary, unless they are the old single beam type, where they are indeed high beam only.

The Euro MB pattern is really cool -- the beam "sweeps" away from the opposing traffic dramatically, easily visible on a garage wall. That helps,

Peter