[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> My 300E/91 has a very strange problem, after a month or so coming back
> from the indy:
>
> a) Cold or warm, the rpm rises to 1300/1400 rpm by 12 sec., and after
> that the rpm returns to normal cycle (750rpm).
>
> b) Un-pluging a two-wire connector at the idle control valve this
> symptom stops: no high rpm is observed when the motor is warm.

Well, I don't have any experience specifically with gasoline Mercedes
engines, but I do have a little experience with K-Jetronic in VWs.  Are
you saying the idle hunts, or revs up and down excessively?  Or does it
only do it once?

My experience is that these kinds of problems are rarely actually the
idle control circuitry.  Usually they happen because the mixture is
wrong for some reason.  (Or the base idle is off, but I think on
KE-Jetronic the base idle is non-adjustable.)  When that happens the
idle circuit gets into odd feedback modes where it hunts and otherwise
acts up.  Often the only way to fix the problem is to carefully go
through the system and check or adjust everything to specs until the
problem goes away.

One really basic, but important, item to look for is false air.  Any
vacuum leak that lets air into the intake without going through the
airflow meter will cause idle problems.  Common culprits are the bellows
at the ends of the intake pipe and the injector seals, but any of the
vacuum hoses can cause problems.

> c) Is the auxiliary air valve different than the idle air control valve,
> or two different names for the same part number?

On K-Jetronic they're separate.  I'm not sure about KE-Jetronic.  On
K-Jetronic the auxiliary air valve is a device with a wax pellet and a
heater.  It boosts the idle when the engine is cold, until it heats up
enough for the wax pellet to close off the air passage.  After that it
doesn't do anything, and the idle air control valve manages the idle speed.

> 2- The fault could be in the ECU? How can it be tested only for this
> problem?

It's probably *not* the ECU.  While it's possible, they don't often fail.

My advice is to get a dwell meter, a DVM or volt-ohm meter, a fuel
pressure gauge set, and a shop manual.  Those are the only tools you
need to check out the whole system, including the ECU.  Because the
K-Jet systems have no self-diagnostics, the only way to fix running
problems is usually to systematically check each component and fix
anything that isn't right.