OK Don wrote:
> The "Bosch Fuel Injection and Enigine Management" book by Probst
> (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Fuel-Injection-Engine-Management/dp/0837603005/sr=8-1/qid=1164721835/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-4223530-6188429?ie=UTF8&s=books)
> is good - and will help you understand what parts are for what. You
> will need the tools that David listed as well.

That's an excellent book.

This is actually a pretty simple fuel injection system, so don't let it
intimidate you.  I think the key things to remember are:

1. Do all the normal ignition tune up stuff before you try to
troubleshoot the fuel injection.  Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap.
Also replace all the vacuum hoses if they're old and cracked.  Make sure
the valves are adjusted right if your engine doesn't have hydraulic
valve lifters.

2. Test, *then* adjust.  Never touch any adjustment without verifying
the components are good, first.  For example, trying to adjust the base
mixture when the real problem is incorrect fuel pressure will only make
the car run worse.  When people get into trouble with K-Jetronic, it's
usually because they try to compensate for some other problem by
"tweaking it a little."

3. If something really *is* off, don't be afraid to fix it.  For
example, if the book says the airflow sensor plate needs to be centered,
and yours isn't, center it.  Small stuff can make a big difference in
the way this system runs, and almost all of the possible repairs are simple.

Idle problems, in particular, often don't have any one cause.  For
example, I had an idle problem on my VW Cabriolet, and there was no one
thing I did that fixed it.  It gradually got better as I went through
the whole system and set everything right.  This can be kind of
frustrating, but it's also satisfying when you finally get it.

Very few indys work on K-Jet much anymore.  With a little effort you'll
probably have a better grasp of how it works than your mechanic does,
and you'll save yourself a bundle on diagnostic fees.