Matt - generally, the USA has a much higher accident/fatality rate, but that is mostly due to the negligent way the states parcel out driver's licenses to anyone that has the few dollars fee. Rarely is any degree of actual driving competence needed, or tested. Most European countries require significant education, driving instruction, and demonstration of ability BEFORE they issue a license. In Germany, for example, it typically takes hundreds of Euros ($$) and around 2 years to qualify. Compare that to little or no training, perhaps an inconsequential written test, perhaps a parallel park, and a few $$ and your "clear to go" with a 4000 lb deadly weapon on an interstate at speed!

Werner

To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 2:08 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Big Brother is Nearby

You wrote:
"There's a lot of political resistance to smaller cars, I've noticed.
When the topic of fuel efficiency comes up Congressional reps always
make dire predictions about the piles of dead bodies we'll see if
people start driving smaller vehicles"

I wonder if anyone has ever taken a look at the countries where they
have those mini cars to see if there is any signifiant differences in
their traffic injuries/deaths. Accounting for the different type of
driving in each country.

Matt Claus