To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Big Brother is Nearby

Matt - generally, the USA has a much higher accident/fatality rate, but that
is mostly due to the negligent way the states parcel out driver's licenses
to anyone that has the few dollars fee.  Rarely is any degree of actual
driving competence needed, or tested.
Most European countries require significant education, driving instruction,
and demonstration of ability BEFORE they issue a license.  In Germany, for
example, it typically takes hundreds of Euros ($$) and around 2 years to
qualify. Compare that to little or no training, perhaps an inconsequential
written test, perhaps a parallel park, and a few $$ and your "clear to go"
with a 4000 lb deadly weapon on an interstate at speed!

Werner