Larry - a better car to train teens would be a stick shift 240D without air or radio, preferably with at least one flat so that they would have to learn how to change a tire; then when the clutch got worn out, they could also learn another valuable lesson in maintenance by crawling under and replacing that, too. My father got me a '34 Chevy 4 door when I started driving, and I had to do all the work, including replacing the tranny when I broke the first one. After 18 months I had made it ready for the scrap yard, and then he let me drive his hand-me-down '49 Ford 6 cylinder, which still almost got me killed by going too fast. I made all my children (girls) learn to drive in a stick shift, how to change tires, change oil, and when they broke something mechanical, assist me in doing the repairs. All of them have now survived over 30 years accident free, and their cars seem to last a lot longer than the manufacturer's would like, and the cars get regular service. IMO, letting an 18 year old into a 3 series BMW or a 'vette is putting them in serious harm's way!

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "LarryT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Big Brother is Nearby

That sounds like a worthwhile program! Hopefully enough willing volunteers
can be found to make things happen.

re your comment about high fatality rates in teens - a few years ago there
was a insurance advertisement (State Farm??) where an agent said he was
advising parents *not* to buy their 16/17 year old new driver that Z28 or
TransAm they were hoping for. Too many teens end up dead while learning the
physics of  300-400HP entering a turn too quickly on a rain-soaked highway
and the stopping power of an Oak tree.

I know some *might* be able to handle it - but the vast majority have no
hope of controlling a high performance car with 0-2 years of experience.
Again, there needs to be some limits on the kinds of power we turn our teens
loose in unless proper training is provided.  Perhaps the amount of HP a
teen is granted is related to the amount of training they receive?  The
current level of drivers ed should only be allowed a W123 240D automatic
with AC ;-)  which should at least teach a little patience.

Later Ya'll -

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)