on 12/16/06 2:40 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> As for Quebec salt, well I hear our Canadian brothers and sisters  use fine
> wine and cheese in their salt mix.

Huh. They've contracted out a lot of winter roads stuff here, so actually
getting salt on your car some days is a bit of a novelty.

My favourite was the winter of 2003, when we had an unpredicted flash ice
storm on a Saturday AM that caught the contractor by surprise. I wrote off
my Volvo 740 Turbo that morning, ended up on the lawn of the police station
actually.

Anyway, they only hire the best clowns to drive the salt/plow trucks. The
first guy who takes a run up the two-lane highway running out of town loses
it and ends up in a field. The next clown thinks he can pull his cuz out and
ends up pointing at the sky in the ditch, effectively closing the highway
for about three hours while they fish them out.

The irony being, that traffic was moving ok until the salt trucks arrived.

Mac