Zoltan Finks wrote:
> That's true. Another visual cue is the rear sway bar. Or maybe all
> full-sized American cars come with rear sway bars now. It used to be a real
> rarity.

All Crown Vics after a certain year have a Watt's link to locate the
rear axle.    (Older ones have a Panhard rod.)  Dunno if the sway bar is
always there, though.  The cop cars have a stiffer spring rate and
handle pretty well for a big car, although you're always aware of the
amount of mass you're pushing around.

> I notice now that the wheels on cop cars are a unique design that has an
> offset that has the wheel center farther toward the outboard. And they don't
> have any hubcaps, just a center cap if I recall correctly.

Yeah, the big, black 16" wheels appeared some time after 2000, I think.
 After the style change to the big Grand Marquis grille the cop cars
usually got a blacked-out grille instead of chrome, as well.  Of course,
the tricky bit is that all of this stuff is optional; it all depends on
what boxes were checked on the order form.  The only way to be
absolutely sure whether a car was ordered as a police package model is
to look at the VIN.

> Often when trying to determine whether the Crown Vic in the distance is a
> cop, I look for any clue possible, such as the visual profile of the driver,
> and whether there are any objects resting on the rear deck or dashboard (as
> in regular people junk). The cues are many.

A partition between the front and rear seats is a dead giveaway.  So is
an "exempt" or state-government license plate.

> Also, it seems you'll never see a Mercury cop car.

Unless it's unmarked!  Then all bets are off.  Heck, I've seen people
pulled over by cops in pickup trucks.