Steve MacSween wrote:
on 12/27/06 1:05 PM, Curt Raymond at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-QIWu_M-HU

I'm not sure but it looks like a Jetta TDI and it looks like they just dump
seafoam into the intake... I can't imagine why that new a car would need
decarboning...

The use of a VERY small amount of water poured into the intake is an
old-time wrench trick for decarbonization. I have actually seen a guy do it
with varsol as well, but let's just say I stood well back. HOwever, I can
confirm the varsol worked like a charm (it was a Mazda gas engine).

VW TDIs from the Gen2 onward do actually have a chronic intake crud
accumulation problem, particularly automatics that never see much highway
use.

ANY diesel engine with EGR (they all have EGR now) that is driven conservatively WILL have intake crud accumulation. Mobil 1 minimizes it but won't eliminate it if all the driving is city. Exclusive highway driving can prevent it from forming.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)