We replaced nasty old carpet with Wilsonart laminate flooring

Some friends of my wife are contractors, and put that stuff
in their mom's kitchen.  After several years of use, and being
used as a day care facility, the Wilsonart people came out to
photograph the installation for their catalog.  It appeared
as a full-page feature photograph.  (The boys had done a very
elaborate patterned and edged installation, like parquet.)
It looked as good as new, still does.  They're sold on that
particular brand.  I can't speak for its water-resistance,
not knowing of any incidents (or not).

-- Jim