The sump is a separate tank - I think they call these 'dry sump'
engines. Oil doe s collect in the bottom cylinders while it's sitting
- you have slowly crank the engine through a couple of turns before
trying to start it (aircraft application). They have been known to
blow a cylinder or two off when this step is omitted.

What I'm wondering is how the lubrication system works, since it is pretty
obvious that you can't have a sump and the oil would seemingly accumulate in
the bottom piston(s)/cylinder(s)...
-j.

--
OK Don, KD5NRO