The Government really could spec re-bar to excess - when we built the Titan2 silos, they used the largest rebar made, 2 1/4" diameter, on 12" centers both vertical and horizontal, inside wall and outside wall - and the concrete was 8 ft thick on the top half of the silo walls. Concrete was also "Class A", had to meet 3000 psi compressive strength. Most house cellar walls I've seen in the last 20 years have been poured with cheap concrete between forms and without any wire or steel to keep cracks from separating. Most of the time the builder is long gone before too many cracks show up, or the owner just doesn't see them or know that it isn't "normal".

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "R A Bennell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT House Building

Hey Werner

Probably not a lot of rebar. I was there when they setup the basement forms but really cannot remember what there was. None in the floor of course. We added onto the house in 87 and the engineer that helped to design and then stamped the drawings did not want us to cut holes in the concrete wall into the part that is now crawl space under the new part because he feared we would cut rebar and reduce the strength of the wall.

Randy