I did all the work myself except for at the very end we hired a painter to do some interior work as we had to move, and time was running out. Lots of weekends, holidays, 2 kids, wife through med school, full-time jobs...but made a pile of money so it was worth it. Could not afford to buy it back now as the prices have about doubled in 7 yr. People who bought it from us sold it a year later for another $100k...oh well, sigh... We moved to Houston, that house is outside Boston in Melrose, which was the first "bedroom suburb" of Boston when they built a train line out that way in the 1850s and many wealthy people moved there and started building houses, which at the time were of the Victorian style. As nice as mine is/was, there are others on the street and nearby that were mansions. A friend around the corner has hers, which is still mostly original inside except for one modern bathroom (the original is still there with the old water box toilet) and sorta updated kitchen. It is incredible -- some PBS drama was filmed in it. When I go back to Boston I stay there, I get the bedroom with the turret and the original silk lampshaded drop ceiling light!

Code, permits -- we don't need no stinkin codes and permits. I did get busted at the very end (after 16 yr of work, with scaffolding on and around the house for about 3 yr), dumpsters in the driveway, huge piles of stuff for the trash (usually with a 6pack in a bag on top). The bldg inspector drove by and saw the aforementioned painter's truck in the driveway and came snooping, saw the last of my lighting being put in on the porch, and busted me for no electrical permits. Hired an electrician to finish up for $100, got my friend to prevail on the mayor at the Irish coffee shop one morning (where all city business got done), and all was well with the world. A neighbor across the street was an electrician, he said my work was better than what he did. He was redoing his about the same time, would ask me for pointers. I did all the plumbing and heating system (twice, again after the boiler froze up while we on vacation, -25F one night and the heating oil gelled up in the tank in the basement -- like on our diesels! -- froze all the pipes). Heights don't bother me, except going up and down the ladder so many times. I was re-clapboarding the back, on a 40ft ladder, up/down about 300 times one Saturday to get them trimmed properly and nailed in the peak. Sunday morning I got out of bed, promptly fell flat on my face as my calf muscles were totally inop -- took me an hour or so to get them loosened up then I hurt but was OK. Back on the ladder got them stretched out. I did have one incident, I was up on the ladder putting on a gutter, I heard this LOUD noise, looked up, and a B-52 came screaming over the house at about 300 ft. It was airshow day at the local Air Force Base, and this thing was on a low pass headed for the field. Apart from about falling off the ladder, I almost lost control of other functions as well. I swear I could see rivets on the wings.

I bought a copy of the National Elec Code and state plumbing code, they are excellent references as it appears most plumbers and electricians are not, um, the National Merit Scholar folks, so everything is spelled out in simple detail with multitudinous examples. Kinda hard to go wrong -- sh*t flows downhill, and black to black, white to white, and green to ground. Everything else derives from that.

Labor of love, but the house should be good for another 100 yr. I heard the latest owners painted it some sort of orange color last summer. Boo.

--R

Harry Watkins wrote:
Wow Rich, what a project, no wonder people want you for their homes.  Was it
a one horse show?  How did you handle the heights?  Is this your current
home?  What about permits and codes?

Its a beautiful House, thanks for sharing.

Harry