Has anyone outside Claremont tried the Striplin Vaseline Tire masking
technique?  I'm afraid to try it without independent confirmation that it a)
works and b) won't create some kind of bonded mess on the tires...

On 1/23/07, Kaleb C. Striplin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The easiest thing to do is coat the tire with vaseline, paint the wheel,
then simply wipe the vaseline off.

Werner Fehlauer wrote:

> Andrew - we had a club member demonstrate how to easily mask the tire,
by
> just letting a bit of the air out, and stuffing an old T-shirt or
similar
> cloth under the rim.  Takes about 20 minutes to prime, paint, and
clearcoat
> a wheel using auto store or Home Depot paints in rattle cans.  Looks
good
> and lasts, too.  Of course, the condition before painting has to be
brought
> up to nice and smooth with sandpaper and a good cleaning.
> I've done the same procedure on my SD, and it was good enough to get a
2nd
> in the Concours at SF06!
>
> Werner

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
(2x) 91 300D 2.5 Turbo, 90 420SEL, 89 560SEL,
87 300SDL, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 84 190D 2.2,
81 240D, 76 240D, 76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250