Yes, but Vaseline isn't that nice to tire rubber, as I recall.
Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kaleb C. Striplin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] For Sale: Near flawless 14" Mercedes Rim (15 hole)

The easiest thing to do is coat the tire with vaseline, paint the wheel,
then simply wipe the vaseline off.

Werner Fehlauer wrote:

Andrew - we had a club member demonstrate how to easily mask the tire, by
just letting a bit of the air out, and stuffing an old T-shirt or similar
cloth under the rim. Takes about 20 minutes to prime, paint, and clearcoat
a wheel using auto store or Home Depot paints in rattle cans.  Looks good
and lasts, too. Of course, the condition before painting has to be brought
up to nice and smooth with sandpaper and a good cleaning.
I've done the same procedure on my SD, and it was good enough to get a 2nd
in the Concours at SF06!

Werner