Those GM tilt columns SUCK to work on!! After working with all sorts of fasteners I think IMHO the worst to deal with is XJ body Jeep Cherokees with about 14(not really...) different sizes of Torx head screws and bolts on EVERYTHING........A little road salt and you might as well forget even the most simple chores.

Mike
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] "special bolts" was:300sd FS near Philadelphia

http://www.wihatools.com/773serie.htm

I think it means External torx. when they round off, they REALLY round off, as in almost conical.

They are used a LOT on the 210's and the OM606 engine. I had the ones on the front torsion bar round on me (thankfully those craftsman damaged nut remover sockets REALLY work) partway out of the hole; I found that the bolts had been up-rev'ed to... (drumroll)... standard hex head bolts.

This was all aggravated by the bolts being "dipped" in the blue microencapsulated threadlocking compound. Vise-Grips (a new pair with clean "sharp" teeth) literally could not get a good enough grip on the bolt to turn it!

BTW I have also run into them on GM type tilt steering columns--down in the bowels where the lower half of the tilt attaches to the upper part of the column.

-j.
--
John Reames
1985 300d (223K "Gerta")

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "Werner Fehlauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

E-torx - like triple square? I'm sure M-B is not unique about the fasteners
they use, as almost every manufacturer has used special fasteners, either
for production efficiency reasons or special strength attributes.