On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:56 PM, Euan wrote:

But first I need wise counsel. Aside from the obvious differences
(petrol = thirsty but gruntier - no more making written applications to
overtake on the highway), how do the 280 TEs differ from my cherished
300TD? What kinds of problems are endemic to this breed?

280 engines come in two flavors, one drinks premium, one drinks regular, which is it? Premium likely.

also adjusting the fuel injection can be tricky, a friend of mine had a 280GE it would get miserable to pour gas on the street milage until a dealer finally got
the adjustments right, then it rated poor (15 miles per (usa) gallon).

I would expect the wagon to get better of course.

John
1983 300TDt  385k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1990's 300TDt  185k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 185k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)