Chris - that sounds like a stretch from abstract theory to the real world. An alternator can only put out a limited number of Amperes, and if the lights are on, they will consume some of that current. I suspect that if the battery was fully charged so that the terminal Voltage was high, thereby "telling" the regulator to reduce the alternator output, then lowering of the terminal Voltage by putting a drain on the system (lights on) might increase the Amperes coming into the system. However as a practical matter, after starting the engine (especially a Diesel with glow plugs), the battery is not fully charged, so the alternator/regulator system will be doing its best to send Amperes to the battery. Therefore, shunting some of those Amperes to the lights will do nothing to help the battery.

(Oh, BTW - what kind of vehicle is a "2006 GSD"?)

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher McCann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2007 10:32 AM
Subject: [MBZ] battery recharge and driving with the lights on

I am told by everyone that driving with your lights on (or some other accessory) helps to recharge the battery faster after starting by putting a load on...the alternator? the battery? something. I don't get electricity.

BUT, I THINK, I recall Marshall (sorry if I am mis-recalling) arguing that this does not hold for our older cars...

Which is the care? Why? Different wiring set up? 7F this morning and the 300SD (1985) started fine (w/ block heater) and the 300D (1982) seems to start nearly all the time at any temp with no block heater.

 Can someone help me understand this?

 Thanks,

 Chris

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2006 GSD, "Anke" (Yanke von der burg Austerlitz)
-2006 GSD, "Heinrich" (Zane von der burg Austerlitz)
-1985 300SD, 219K miles, "Wulf"
-1982 300Dt, 117K miles, "little blue klatter box"