with a 6 block commute - and no other driving - I will wear a battery  down -
faster or slower - depending on temp. But fluctuating temp  really throws a big
variable into that test.

  CM

Levi Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Well, I guess the real answer is this.
How many times do you not have your
lights on and then find your battery wasn't charged enough?
If you can do this frequently, then try turning your lights on and see if it
helps any....  (:

Levi

On 2/2/07, Christopher McCann  wrote:

> I am DEFINITELY not misinterpreting what this guy (who, otherwise
> knows  quite a bit about cars, raced cars, built race cars, does all
> his  repairs, etc). We've had this argument SEVERAL times.
>

> If you turn the headlights on with the engine running, all you're going
> to do is make the alternator send a decent portion of it's charge to the
> lights, thereby preventing that much potential energy from reaching the
> battery
>   THAT is exactly my reasoning with this guy and he
> insists  otherwise...but it's not just him, OTHER people have made the
> same  argument that he is making.
>
>   Chris
>

> Levi Smith  wrote:  Wuh????  Maybe I'm missing
> something I'm not familiar with, but I think
> someone's either feeding you a line, or you're misinterpreting
> something...
>
> If you turn the headlights on with the engine running, all you're going to
> do is make the alternator send a decent portion of it's charge to the
> lights, thereby preventing that much potential energy from reaching the
> battery.  Not that it should be any problem, but technically speaking...
> The alternator should charge the battery either way...
>
> Unless there's something weird I've never heard of where turning on the
> lights will somehow drop the voltage and get the alternator to kick out
> more?  Never heard of such a thing, but who knows...
>
> There is that thought that turning the lights on BEFORE you start the car
> gets the battery's chemistry moving to give you a little more oomph for
> cranking.  But I've never completely bought into that(never done it for
> that
> matter) and it's a moot point on anything with glow plugs anyway...
>
> Levi (:
>
> On 2/2/07, Christopher McCann  wrote:
> >
> > I am told by everyone that driving with your lights on (or some
> > other  accessory) helps to recharge the battery faster after starting
> > by  putting a load on...the alternator? the battery? something. I don't
> > get  electricity.
> >
> >   BUT, I THINK, I recall Marshall (sorry if I am mis-recalling) arguing
> > that this does not hold for our older cars...
> >
> >   Which is the care? Why? Different wiring set up? 7F this morning
> > and  the 300SD (1985) started fine (w/ block heater) and the 300D
> > (1982)  seems to start nearly all the time at any temp with no block
> heater.
> >
> >   Can someone help me understand this?
> >
> >   Thanks,
> >
> >   Chris
> >

> > Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
> > -2006 GSD, "Anke" (Yanke von der burg Austerlitz)
> > -2006 GSD, "Heinrich" (Zane von der burg Austerlitz)
> > -1985 300SD, 219K miles, "Wulf"
> > -1982 300Dt, 117K miles, "little blue klatter box"

> Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
> -2006 GSD, "Anke" (Yanke von der burg Austerlitz)
> -2006 GSD, "Heinrich" (Zane von der burg Austerlitz)
> -1985 300SD, 219K miles, "Wulf"
> [...]

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Feb 02 16:02:46 2007