1) errands. I have 5 kids. I often get a request for "please pick x, y,  z" up
on the way home. It seems that I am always having to go somewhere.

  I live and work in a sort of bad neighborhood. In the summer, it's too  hot.
Cold I don't mind, but it's dark. I carry pepper spray/cs gas mix  and I have a
concealed carry permit, but I only really feel safe when I  have both of those
(99.9% of the time) AND my German Shepherd, who  UNFORTUNATELY is not welcome
in my office all day long on a regular  basis.

  I have walked a few times...but it's just not a nice walk. Blight, drug
dealers, whores (not so much any more) and you always need to be  watching your
back.

  Kansas City is weird. MY block is nice. 2 blocks away is hell and 2  blocks
the other way are million dollar homes. the whole residential  part of the
older city (not downtown) is like that.

  So I think that's the main reason - its just an unpleasant walk. When I
lived in the BEAUTIFUL little town of Cross Plains, Wisconsin, I walked  to
work all the time. I LOVE that town. Wife's "ancestral homeland".  Her great-
great - great.... grandfather Engelbert Übersetzig  immigrated there in the
early 1850's, opened a saloon and they've been  there ever since. But now they
are dairy farmers...and I brought her  here :-(

  Long answer, sorry.

  Chris

ernest breakfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  jeeze, with a 6 block commute,
why are you even *driving* at all?
wouldn't a bicycle work better?   ;-)

    seriously; do you have too much stuff you need to take with you that
you need to drive? (surely, it can't be the weather; i've comfortably
walked farther than that in Alberta when it was over 40* below,...)

cheers!

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2006 GSD, "Anke" (Yanke von der burg Austerlitz)
-2006 GSD, "Heinrich" (Zane von der burg Austerlitz)
-1985 300SD, 219K miles, "Wulf"
-1982 300Dt, 117K miles, "little blue klatter box"

Check out the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta - Fire up a more powerful email and get
things done faster.
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Feb 02 23:44:37 2007