Euan wrote:
Hi there folks

What parts of my 300TD wiper assembly are accessible for lubrication?

My new-ish wipers (MB arms and blades) sweep in a silky smooth fashion when first started, but if left to run continuously or intermittently, they soon develop a shuddering action. The shuddering is not major but it's irritating.

The complete assembly (above the grill) was installed new last year and hasn't been altered, bent or twisted, so I'm assuming that the problem originates elsewhere in the mechanism. The shuddering persists when both wipers are lifted off the windscreen.

Here's the wisdom of Stu Ritter on the subject:

When the wipers are juddering across the windshield, the geometry of the
wiper should be checked. Make sure that the wiper blade is exactly
perpendicular to the windshield. You can bend the wiper arm to insure the blades perpendicularity. You can also rebow the wiper arm as they loose their spring over time.

As the wiper arms age, they are fighting against the tension spring that
is located at the base of the arm. The arms get flat over time. You can
regain the spring tension by "rebowing" the arm or re-establishing the
bow (curve) the arm had when it was new. In snow country, I even exaggerate the bow abit to strengthen the spring for scrapping snow and ice..

Stu
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)