Temp gauge was resting on the bottom for the first maybe 5+ minutes(that
time is pretty much downhill so idling motor but cruising at around 30mph
with the occasional slight press of the pedal)  Then started rising and
within 15 minutes which is about the time I hit the highway it was up to
around 80-90C and stayed there for the rest of the trip.

I'm assuming that it didn't get any warmer any quicker due to:
A) the cold (single digits, 1F when I left)
b)the wind sucking out even more of the generated heat (-10 - -20F wind
chills)
c) the veggie tank sucking out a decent portion of heat
d)the more or less exposed heater lines that run along the bottom of the car
from the engine compartment to below the rear seat leaking out heat
e) the lack of a working aux coolant pump
I'm sure i could replace the aux coolant pump and get a bit more heat in the
cabin, but it works just fine for my needs and I imagine it would suck more
heat from the veggie tank.

Levi