Well, I don't think I'd call it a myth.  The fact that the car will go
300-400K miles with almost no maintenance before smoking to a halt is much
preferable to an american car going 100K before smoking to a halt...
I haven't dealt with enough european stuff to compare, though I know my
Mercedes smokes to a start more than to a halt...  (:

Levi

The myth of the Asian labeled cars thought to be so reliable is partially
due
to their drivers' inability to recognize a defect or mechanical problem
until
the thing smokes to a halt. "Oooo, I never have to spend a penny on my
Corolla, Camry or whatever...."

RLE