Don't fret too much Peter.  I pulled the head from mine with a chain
winch suspended from a bit less than 8' ceiling in a too small garage.
Came out all right with the turbo & exhaust manifold attached even
though I didn't have the winch very well positioned.  Kinda resist the
temptation to put the head back on with those bits detached.  I did
that just to save myself the aggravation of positioning that big chunk
over the block, but I'm here to state that while all those bits can be
reassembled with the head installed that it's not exactly an exercise
you'll want to remember.  I did apply a thin smear of Hylomar HPF to
the new gasket and so far no leaks that I've been able to find but
then it's only got ~150mi on it as yet.

Oh yeah, and absolutely no residual cooling system pressure (fingers
well crossed)

After it's got a few more miles on it I'll hook up the forced open
t'stat and the flushing connection to the top hose and give it a
Cascade enema.  But that's just for oil; dunno about other forms of
black goo.

-joe