radiator ruptured early last year I had none of this.  I suspect that
both the tow company that briefly stored it after the accident and the
fellow that repaired the accident damage started the engine dry
probably several times to move the car around resulting either in a
cracked head or gasket failure.  Ever since I got it back after repair

Makes one think you should remove the GP fuse on any coolant
or oil disabled vehicle before letting it out of your control!
Put it back only in the presence of qualified personnel.

When my Camaro's engine went I towed it to the engine rebuild
shop myself.  They wouldn't help me push it into place, they
just said to start it anyway.  (Turns out it had a spun bearing.)
Made a hell of a noise, but would still go.  Perhaps justified
since it was going in for a full rebuild anyway, but I still
didn't like it.

I started the Frankenheap 'dry' when I first got it, I only let
it idle long enough for me to get around to the engine compartment
and kill it.  (Turns out the shutoff knob didn't work.)  10 years
sitting, dry, unknown condition other than it had oil in it and
would turn over by hand.  Started right up on a good battery.
Now it's my winter months daily driver.

-- Jim