Part of the problem is one of those "laws" like "a gas will expand to
the volume of its container."  Well the complexity of cars increases
to the limit of our ability to manufacture them.

There's no doubt in my mind that any American manufacturer could build
a basic car that would get you from point a to point b, price it
inexpensively, and have it be totally reliable, by sticking with
simple proven technologies.  But, government regulations and
requirements are constantly changing, and the market does not want a
simple utilitarian car.  Thus every model year includes new, "first
year in production" technologies, and the attendant quality issues.

Allan
--
1983 300D
1966 230