If he holds out for retirement (and as an E-7 now, the chances of his
getting out before then are slim), he and your daughter have health
insurance for life. My co-workers are very jealous of my having that
benefit.

Heck, even my ex has health insurance for life because I retired.

Since I don't have to pay it myself, I was shocked one day when a co-worker
told me how much is withheld from her paycheck just for the health
insurance!

And, you normally retire young. At the age of 22, I was the "old man" when I
went thru enlisted boot camp but I still retired t age 42. Lots of time left
to collect that retirement check (though it is small, just 50% of base pay
at 20 years) and start a new career.