While my daughter has been a Florida girl since first grade [but born in IN] her Coastie worked search and rescue in the Alaska crab beds for a time, so he has a pretty good take on the area. Valdez is said to have a pretty mild climate, but about 300 inches of snow per year [lots more than either S. FL or San Diego, where they now are]. They will be moving to Valdez in early Autum with a 1 month old baby, so she will have enough to do also.
BillR

----- Original Message ----- From: "Zeitgeist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:36 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT for military types

Like Don sez, in AK, the CG is well-respected.  They would occasionally
board our fishing boats, and always always were a very professional lot.
Oh, and they saved a few drowning fishermen, too.

The PW Sound is absolutely gorgeous--really.  Much of AK still has a
frontier spirit and mentality to it.