Bearings are cheap. $ 75 for a rod set, $ 55 for an oversize (0.25mm) set.
Even if the crank needs to be ground it seems to be economical.
The thing becomes an issue when addressing the blow-by; rings, valve
guides,  injectors, and on.

On 3/14/07, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Excessive blow-by is not evident. The turbo is slightly oily, but the
> shaft is moving a little in radial direction.

I think that's OK.  It's axial motion that is bad.

> I figured a basic rebuild ... runs ~ $ 800 in parts.

So, I wonder how much a single bearing costs?  If the crank
rod journal (say) is not badly damaged, and they _are_ very
hard, harder than Detroit iron, perhaps it would be worth
doing a bit of peephole surgery through the oil pan?  A used
#2-4 bearing off of some other dead engine might be an
interesting option too.  If the crank is badly scored, or
the rod is damaged, then forget it.

It's the sort of thing I might try.  If it's easy enough to
do it's not like you're talking about any kind of serious
investment, and I don't see how you're going to make anything
_worse_.

-- Jim