Chuck Landenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Allan,
>
> Just curious..  What is your age?

40

> Way back in the "dark ages" my father taught me to drive.  But,
> we're talking pre-hot rod days...
>
> I've since taken and instructed quite a few Defensive Driving
> classes.
>
> It can save a life to know your car's limits and your limits!

I took a standard "drivers training" program when I was 16.  It was
thru a private program since the public schools stopped offering
drivers training a year or two before that.  Not sure why -- perhaps
liability concerns.

The classroom was where you learned about stopping distances,
recovering from skids, etc. though we never actually did any skidding
in the driving portion of the class.  I don't know of any program that
does that other than the law enforcement "EVO" (emergency vehicle
operation) programs.  It would have been possible to go over to the
local stadium (big gravel lot) and get the feel for skidding, but we
did not.  For the actual driving we drove in town, on the highway,
learned how to merge into traffic, pass, etc.  We did not learn how to
drive a manual transmission but my parents arranged a special extra
1:1 session with one of the instructors for that.

Unfortunately like most people, I learned "the hard way" how wet
pavement, snow, and ice affect handling, and what 4WD will and won't
do for you.  The *theory* was all covered in driver's ed though, and I
can't imagine that it's not today.

Insurance companies have statistical evidence that drivers training
produce safer drivers, otherwise they would not offer discounts to
drivers who pass such a program.  Not to say the training couldn't be
better, but it is already better than parental training *on average*.

With regard to the comparisons to Europe, remember that driving is
*heavily* taxed in europe, from the taxes on fuel, taxes on
automobiles, cost of the license, cost of the mandatory yearly
inspections, etc.  Young people simply cannot, in most cases, afford a
car or a license, and most families (if they have a car at all) cannot
afford to buy one for their kid.  By the time the kid has the income
to support owning and driving a car, he is older, more mature,
presumably more responsible, etc.

Allan
--
1983 300D