The ice was maple-hardwood-floor solid -- about three feet thick.

Except "Magellan"  never thought to take a compass (dumb-ass!) so once he
lost the horizon, he wandered around as lost as Stevie Wonder in a blizzard
white-out. Once, my bad. Twice, you're an idiot. Three times, we will drop
bread crumbs from the helicopter and you can race the sea gulls back to
shore.

Should have become a current day Jonah, but God smiles on certain
individuals lacking brains and/or common sense. The fact that I have reached
the ripe old, ... umm, MIDDLE AGE ... of 54 is living testimony to this
rule.

I seem to remember the hoist operator on the last rescue helicopter telling
this individual (and I will NOT testify to this under oath, in the finest
Bush-administration tradition): "Next time, you can just die, MoFo!"

Or, as we say in "my field of work" from time to time, YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.

There were actually some folks who successfully walked from Cape Cod to
Nantucket that winter -- a once in several lifetimes experience -- but they
went prepared with rucksacks, food, flashlights, and ... du'h! ... a
freekin' compass and map.

Again, you can't fix stupid.

D.

On 3/23/07, Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:06:03 -0500 "LT Don" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Shame you guys don't have the American Coast Guard to assist with these
> situations.   :-)
>
> In the winter of '80 (I think it was, might have been '79 or '78) we
> rescued the SAME GUY THREE TIMES by helicopter because he tried to walk
> from Cape Cod to Nantucket over the frozen water. (You non US- or non
> right-coast guys consult a map to get the full impact -- you can't fix
> stupid.)

You're right; how he could expect the 10 miles or so of Nantucket Sound
between the sand bars to freeze solid enough to walk on is pretty amazing.

Craig