Does this suggest that the more "slippage" during shifts - in other words,
when a shift takes a longer period of time - more wear is taking place?

I have the feeling this is the case, as I understand that in auto trannys, a
quick, crisp shift is more healthy than a drawn-out shift where the engine
speed sort of takes a long slide down into the higher gear (like fingernails
on chalkboard to me)? Our CRV does this under some conditions.

Brian

Tom wrote:
For example, a lot of older Mercedes
have a rough 3rd - 4th gear shift & some Mercedes owners (and transmission
shops) will adjust to soften the shift. But doing this slows down all shift
points, causing more slippage, rapid clutch wear & early failure.