#A When the 1st gear synchro went out of my '88 GMC Jimmy (manual trans, 5spd)
but it'd always popped out of gear occasionally. I think it had a bad synchro
from the factory which we should have reported.
#2 When I had the trans replaced on my 240D (manual trans) for what I'm now
convinced was a squealing center bearing.

Other than that and regular maintenance I can't think of any trans trouble in
any of our family vehicles ever...

You know who tend to be hard on transmissions I bet? Bulldozer drivers.
Bulldozer transmissions of today are amazing things, throw it into forward up
to full speed, whack it into reverse full speed, back to forward. All so hard
you can hurt your neck and it'll work like that for years and years... Pretty
near magic if you ask me.

-Curt