I don't know much about the Escape in particular and I tend to steer clear
of most American vehicles.  They're usually "good enough" but from my
experience they're not as reliable as the Japanese stuff.
Still, overall from what I've seen, in terms of cost, if you're planning on
keeping the vehicle for 100K miles or more there's a good chance you'll make
up the difference in fuel cost compared to the extra you paid for the Hybrid
part.  If you're only going to keep it for a few years and maybe 60K miles
it's kinda doubtful that you'll recover that fuel cost compared to buying
the cheaper model.  You just don't generally get THAT much better mileage
compared to the extra cost.  Make sure you're aware that you will NOT get
the mileage ratings on the window for city and only the highway rating if
you accelerate slowly and keep it to 45mph...  They are changing the ratings
now to make a bit more sense (especially in regards to hybrids that might
complete half the test without ever starting the engine, but not getting to
the point of having to recharge)and the Prius is about to lose around 12mpg
in the city rating.

As for batteries, that's going to FAST becoming more of an issue in my
mind.  I've been watching the Honda list lately as the Insights were the
first around 2000.  And as expected, the batteries last around 6 years it
seems.  Honda seems to be doing pretty good and for the most part replacing
them for free even on a 7 year old car with 178K miles on it.  But I'd say
you could expect to pay somewhere in the $500-3K range if and when your
batteries die and you decide to replace them.

I haven't really heard any reliability problems with them other than the
same thing with pretty much ANY battery in that it's hard to make them last
more than somewhere around 6 years...

I *LOVE* the idea, but there are a lot of caveats with it.  I'd love to pick
up one of the original Insights that ACTUALLY got 70mpg on the highway.
That could be done for like $6K too...  It would still get near that mileage
if the battery pack was toast too.  Unfortunately they've more or less got
it tied into the system so that if the battery pack gets completely useless
there's no way to charge the normal 12V battery that would run the
electrical system...

Levi