I have an 85 123 wagon with the regular slushbox. It has only 160K mi
on it and is still going strong. I have no intention of getting rid of
the thing as it seems to improve with age.

I recently identified a gray market 300d (sedan) of similar vintage
with a bad motor which has the 5-speed, and am thinking about doing the
transmission switch.

Anyone ever do this before? How painful is it?

I know if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think I would enjoy the
next 200K miles more with a manual shifter, Compared to what it would
cost to buy a new(er) car, this seems a reasonable investment in my
driving satisfaction.

Informed comments appreciated,
Karl

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.