From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue May 29 22:54:14 2007
From: "R A Bennell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 17:57:29 -0500
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Road Bicycling and Walking Vs. Drivers

Please bear in mind that folks who drive larger vehicles have some difficulty
in safely passing you in traffic. I
have had a Suburban and now a couple of F150's. I don't want to clip some poor
cyclist with my mirror while trying
to get around him and not hit the car/truck in the lane next to me. After
holding up traffic behind me to cleanly
get around the cyclist, it really irks me to have him pass me at the next light
and have to do it all over again in
the next block or two. I have tried pulling close to the curb before stopping
to send the message but that seems to
enrage cyclists and I have had them bang on my vehicle.

I understand folks who wish to ride as they want the exersize or don't have a
car. I have friends who do it but I
don't plan to join them and I really think that city traffic is a lousy place
to ride. I think a cyclist really
needs to be mindful of how much bigger and heavier a truck is. I can't stop on
a dime and any error on their part
or my part is gonna hurt. Do do yourself a favour and stay as far away from
trucks as you can. Don't push the rules
of the road or your luck as you aren't going to win. Please be safe out there.
I'm gonna lose sleep if I ever run
one of you over.

I gave up my Honda Goldwing for similar reasons. I was able to keep up with
traffic obviously, but the fools in the
trucks were willing to ride 2 feet from my back fender. I try to give
motorcycles a whole lot of room as I remember
how I felt. However, the common thing is that if I leave a little too much
room, some other fool pulls into the
space between me and the bike so it doesn't always do much good to be nice.

Randy (climbing gingerly down from his soapbox)