The Harbor Freight TIG is probably the scratch-start DC only unit that
my friend has, there is no foot pedal and no AC so you can not weld
aluminum...

Setting aside the super-cheap stuff for a moment, I have what I would
consider an "entry level" TIG and it set me back $1800, but it has AC
with wavebalance, adjustable weld paramaters, etc, etc.  It will do up
to 160 amps.  The TIG is way cool, I can weld my own aluminum
intercooler pipes, do fine repairs on exotic metals, etc.  However
there are a lot of times where I wish I had a MIG as well it is much
faster and easier for the day to day stuff.  If you dont ever
anticipate doing odd projects in exotic metals *and* you dont want to
spend a ton of time practicing (TIG is difficult to master) then just
get a decent MIG.

As far as MIG welders go I would recommend the Lincoln SP135+ or
whatever replaced it in the current lineup, key features are 20amp 110v
supply and fully adjustable heat range.  (an easy way to spot a "cheap"
MIG is turn the heat knob, if it clicks into only a couple of positions
then it is not "infinately adjustable" and not as flexible in use)

  -Zach