Which one will do stainless?

--
Luther   KB5QHU    Alma, Ark
'87 300SDL (271,xxx mi) needs head
'83 300SD (246,645 mi) SOLD!
'82 300CD (166 kmi) getting front end rebuild
'82 300D  (74 kmi) getting '85 donor engine-SOLD!
'85 300D (280,176) parts car-sans engine

Quoting Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

The Harbor Freight TIG is probably the scratch-start DC only unit that
my friend has, there is no foot pedal and no AC so you can not weld
aluminum...
Setting aside the super-cheap stuff for a moment, I have what I would
consider an "entry level" TIG and it set me back $1800, but it has AC
with wavebalance, adjustable weld paramaters, etc, etc.  It will do up
to 160 amps.  The TIG is way cool, I can weld my own aluminum
intercooler pipes, do fine repairs on exotic metals, etc.  However
there are a lot of times where I wish I had a MIG as well it is much
faster and easier for the day to day stuff.  If you dont ever
anticipate doing odd projects in exotic metals *and* you dont want to
spend a ton of time practicing (TIG is difficult to master) then just
get a decent MIG.
As far as MIG welders go I would recommend the Lincoln SP135+ or
whatever replaced it in the current lineup, key features are 20amp 110v
supply and fully adjustable heat range.  (an easy way to spot a "cheap"
MIG is turn the heat knob, if it clicks into only a couple of positions
then it is not "infinately adjustable" and not as flexible in use)

  -Zach