The Harbor Freight TIG is probably the scratch-start DC only unit that
my friend has, there is no foot pedal and no AC so you can not weld
aluminum...

That means it sucks?

Setting aside the super-cheap stuff for a moment, I have what I would
consider an "entry level" TIG and it set me back $1800, but it has AC
with wavebalance, adjustable weld paramaters, etc, etc.  It will do up
to 160 amps.  The TIG is way cool, I can weld my own aluminum
intercooler pipes, do fine repairs on exotic metals, etc.  However

I want TIG for the odd exotic/small items.  I just can't justify
that kind of scratch for it.

there are a lot of times where I wish I had a MIG as well it is much
faster and easier for the day to day stuff.  If you dont ever

Oh yeah, you need a MIG.  It's the first thing I reach for.  (The Miller
AC stick welder comes out for the big bad jobs, like 1/4" plate welding
on the crane frame, hard surfacing, or anything I don't really care about
burning holes in like the time I welded wheels on the bottom of the
shop oven.)

-- Jim