From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Craig McCluskey
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 9:47 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: welders, again

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 19:05:57 -0700 Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > Setting aside the super-cheap stuff for a moment, I have what I would
> > consider an "entry level" TIG and it set me back $1800, but it has AC
> > with wavebalance, adjustable weld paramaters, etc, etc.  It will do up
> > to 160 amps.  The TIG is way cool, I can weld my own aluminum
> > intercooler pipes, do fine repairs on exotic metals, etc.  However
>
> I want TIG for the odd exotic/small items.  I just can't justify
> that kind of scratch for it.
>
> > there are a lot of times where I wish I had a MIG as well it is much
> > faster and easier for the day to day stuff.  If you dont ever
>
> Oh yeah, you need a MIG.  It's the first thing I reach for...

OK, for those of us who are ignorant, what's the difference.

(And I broke out my Dayton buzz-box this past weekend for welding up some
16ga galvanized steel to make a new riser for our water meter cover. I had
it down to minimum (about 60 A) and wish it went still lower. Welding the
galvanized to the 1/4" steel plate that covers most of the meter pit was
difficult. It was the first time I had welded in 20 years. Looks like it,
too, but it's not going anywhere.)

Craig