Seems IIRC there is a plan to put a GPS tag on cars to monitor how much they are driven and then tax you for that. PDX is doing a "test" of this system. Even had some idiots apply to be test subjects. Think there was talk of a "test' here in Seattle too. Greenies

On Jun 12, 2007, at 2:20 PM, R A Bennell wrote:

So, what is the going rate of "road tax" for hybrid electric vehicles? Do we calculate KWH and apply an electric tax? How about a pedal car? Do we tax the fries and burger consumed for lunch as a "motive fuel"?

If we convert used veggie oil, do we get a rebate on the tax charged to the restaurant for the cooking oil?

Seems to me that the taxing authorities should just back off and leave the veggie wierdos alone for the moment. Anyone willing to fool around with that mess and put their vehicle engine at some risk in using it should reap some silly benefit. I really have to think that it is never going to become a widespread source of power. It is more of a Mother Earth News hippie back to the land sort of idea. Not very practical for most of us in urban settings with
no barn to store the mess.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Allan Streib
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:41 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Soy 81 300D

"Gary Hurst" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

what mechanism do you offer the veggie guys to "pay their share"?
how can they even do it if they wanted to?

Keep track of how many gallons they put in their car.  Send the gov't
a check every quarter for the taxes due.  Not so hard.

--
1983 300D
1966 230