Great points, Mike.  Wifey and I do feel the same way and don't want
ourselves or our truck to be involved with EVERY transport just because it's
big and powerful enough.  The board member previously discussed does help
with his truck since the gear is more than even a long bed pickup can
handle.  The club doesn't have all of the gear and boats in one place, so
there's a lot of driving back and forth across town to get everything that's
required to be transported for a race.  2 of the four necessary boats are in
the river downtown, trailer 15 miles southwest, and the racing gear is in a
storage unit somewhere in the middle.  Of course, if two of the four boats
are 25 miles east of the river getting repaired, this adds 50 miles of
driving, you get the picture.  They're working on having boat repairs done
in house as soon as they obtain a larger facility, and gear will be stored
there as well which will also cut down on the driving and fuel costs as well
as wear and tear.  In nearly every instance, it's one truck (ours) that ends
up running back and forth between the different places taking on gear and
boats too, and then, it's not there if we need it for day-to-day activities.
Gear must also be loaded and unloaded for every trip since it can't stay in
everyone's trucks, and the boat transporter usually ends up doing this all
by him/herself, not too fair since it's a team sport.  Well, enough rambling
on and on about this.  The REAL issue here is since neither of us can drive
this wonderful Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, it gets driven by family members or by
the two people within the club whenever a transport takes place.  A more
manageable vehicle is needed for a daily driver since it's so long and hard
to park in many of the places we go.  Rather than having both the truck and
another vehicle, I want to sell the truck and purchase a vehicle that will
better serve us every day but still pull the boat with plenty of power.  An
SUV or  preferably a short van with a diesel engine would be ideal since it
can haul people, gear and my guide dog.  The Sprinter would do pretty well.

Kevin in Portland, OR
1983 300SD 267Kmi, Ursula